Aquarium Conservation Program
Next Step - I
1. Discuss the structure and operation of the register including ways to ensure authenticity of entries.
2. Decide who should sit on the board of the ACP.
3. Assemble working groups to decide the scope of the project and ways in which we will assemble species lists.
4. Develop a mission statement. Consider ways to organize the conservation-breeding program.
5. Define the basic unit we are trying to protect (a species or a population)
6. Define the program animal. Agree on criteria to be used (e.g. IUCN, CITIES, other). Agree on whether we are trying to save everything from one locale or just representatives.
7. Discuss ways to protect the program from being abused as a means of advertising endangered fish.
8. Discuss how to avoid issues of cross breeding.
9. Discuss ways in which the exchange of fry will work (locally, nationally and internationally).
10. Identify ways to bring lone fishes of opposite sex together for breeding purposes.
11. Discuss data protection issues.
12. Discuss ways to:
· promote the project and raise awareness
· link with similar programs and avoiding duplication and confusion
· liaise and interface with organizations with similar purposes.
If you have any views on these issues and would like us to consider them please do contact us at: email@example.com stating "ACP - Next Step 1" at the Subject Line.